424 S. Washington
(325) 473-2331
We Love, Because He First Loved Us

History of FBC Bronte

HISTORY OF FBC BRONTE:

     ON JUNE 19, 1887, L.H. CRESWELL, J.J. TREADWELL, AND SISTER GRISWELL, MEMBERS OF THE BAPTIST CHURCH AT PLEASANT GROVE, MET WITH W.G. GREEN, AN ORDAINED MINISTER, AND ORGANIZED A MISSIONARY BAPTIST CHURCH IN BRONTE, COKE COUNTY, TEXAS.  THE FIRST FEW MEMBERS MET FOR WORSHIP IN HOMES UNTIL 1890, WHEN A BRUSH ARBOR WAS BUILT AND BRO. R.M. CUMBIE BECAME THE FIRST PASTOR OF THE CHURCH.
     AFTER A SCHOOLHOUSE WAS BUILT BY THE COMMUNITY ON THE BANKS OF THE KICKAPOO CREEK, THE CHURCH MET THERE IN WINTER, AND UNDER THE BRUSH ARBOR IN THE SUMMER.
     IN OCTOBER OF 1901, THE FIRST SUNDAY SCHOOL WAS ORGANIZED, AND THE FIRST DEACON ORDAINED BY THE CHURCH WAS W.C. WALTON ON JUNE 13, 1902.
     THE FIRST CHURCH BUILDING, BUILT WITH VOLUNTARY LABOR, WAS COMPLETED AND DEDICATED IN 1907.  A TABERNACLE BUILDING WAS ADDED IN THE 1920’S.  IN 1950, THE CHURCH VOTED TO BUILD A NEW BUILDING THAT WOULD INCLUDE A SANCTUARY, FELLOWSHIP HALL, TWO LEVELS OF CLASSROOMS, A NURSERY, AND A KITCHEN.  THE BUILDING WAS COMPLETED IN 1951, AND A SPECIAL DAY OF DEDICATION WAS OBSERVED APRIL 24, 1960, COMPLETE WITH NOTE-BURNING.  IN 1978, THE CHURCH VOTED TO BUILD A NEW FELLOWSHIP HALL, AND BY 1981 THE FACILITY WAS PAID FOR.  IN 2010 THE CHURCH COMPLETED ANOTHER NEW FELLOWSHIP HALL THAT ALSO CONTAINED FIVE SUNDAY SCHOOL ROOMS.  THE BUILDING  WAS COMPLETELY PAID FOR UPON COMPLETION.  THE PREVIOUS FELLOWSHIP HALL THEN BECAME THE YOUTH BUILDING.
     THE PEOPLE OF FBC BRONTE CONTINUE TO DO THEIR PART TO SERVE GOD AND THEIR COMMUNITY.  WE WOULD LOVE FOR YOU TO COME AND PARTICIPATE IN OUR STORY WITH US.  IT IS ONLY BY THE GRACE OF GOD THAT OUR CHURCH HAS BEEN ABLE TO FIND SUCCESS, AND WE PLAN TO CONTINUE TO RELY ON THAT GRACE AS WE MOVE FORWARD INTO THE FUTURE.  MAY THE STORY OF FBC BRONTE BE A STORY OF PRAISE ABOUT OUR GOD.
     WE LOVE, BECAUSE HE FIRST LOVED US.